Is 2020 The Year of the Introvert? Yes and No. | TIS Ep. 27
Many are calling 2020 “The Year of the Introvert.” Avoiding people, avoiding crowded spaces, self-isolating, working from home…what’s not to love, right? Sounds like introvert heaven, but…it’s not quite so simple. Join Sharon and Lisa as they weigh the pros and cons of the corona-induced self-isolation lifestyle.
3 Big Takeaways:
- In some ways, it absolutely is the year of the introvert: “We introverts like a slower, calmer, less frenetic pace, and the world is finally embracing what comes naturally to many of us.”
- But in some ways it isn’t: “Socializing in some form or fashion has become popular again. People are trying to virtually recreate the connection that they have been missing: dance parties, dinners, happy hours, book clubs, tea parties…What that creates for introverts is the experience of once again feeling pressured to be extroverted in the virtual world.”
- There is a shadow pandemic taking place, in terms of mental health: “There is going to be a mental health crisis coming out of this pandemic. It is unavoidable…Whether you’re an introvert or an extrovert, the stress of the pandemic could trigger new mental health issues, or exacerbate existing ones.”
Find Us: Listen on Substack or add our podcast feed to your favorite player.| Transcript
5 Key Quotes:
- “Social distancing, sheltering in place, quarantine…all these pandemic-related protocols have put an end to the natural ways that people usually connect in times of crisis. People are unable to be with their support circle.”
- “Having virtual gatherings to help build connection can ironically heighten the feeling of disconnection. Having to celebrate (or mourn) virtually adds a layer of strangeness and stress to pandemic life.”
- “A lot of people are dealing with this global crisis completely alone. There is a feeling of disconnection and loneliness.”
- “Even introverts who enjoy spending time alone, who might not normally experience loneliness, might now be experiencing disconnection because of the pandemic.”
- “It’s very important for us to check on our people. This is beyond introversion and extroversion. It’s just about people. Check on them. You don’t know what they’re going through, and you don’t know how they’re coping.”
By The Numbers:
- 0:36 – “Introverts Unite Separately” segment: The sisters have a lot going on this week! Sharon talks about judging a flash fiction contest. (Sorry, the entry deadline has already passed.) Lisa guested on a podcast for the first time ever, and had a blast! Sharon was a panel guest on an anti-racism panel. Lisa shares her latest Netflix fave.
- 12:00 – “In Our World” segment: With isolation and social distancing being the new norm, is 2020 the year of the introvert?
Is 2020 the year of the introvert?
- 2020 Is Officially The Year Of The Introvert
- Is 2020 The Year Of The Introvert?
- The Introvert Sisters Podcast: Why Introverts Love Working Remotely and Don’t Miss The Office | E 18
- The Introvert Sisters Podcast: Alone, Not Lonely: Why Introverts Love “Me Time” | E 21
- For Introverts, Lockdown Is A Chance To Play To Our Strengths
- How 2020 Will Be Known As The Year Of The Introvert (Yes, Amongst Other 1 Or 2 Other Things)
OR MAYBE NOT
- I’m An Introvert. And No, I’m Not Thriving.
- Lockdown Was Supposed To Be An Introvert’s Paradise. It’s Not.
- Social Distance on Netflix.
- Mental Health, Substance Use, And Suicidal Ideation During The Covid-19 Pandemic
- The Pandemic Has Caused An Increase In Anxiety, Stress, Depression And Suicides
- The Coronavirus Pandemic Is Pushing America Into A Mental Health Crisis
- In the Shadow of the Pandemic, a Mental Health Crisis
- Is A Shadow Pandemic Brewing?
- Lisa’s guest appearance on the We’ve Never Met podcast.
- Charlotte T. Martin, aka @charlottethewriter, on Instagram, and at www.charlottethewriter.com.
- Sharon’s guest appearance on this anti-racism panel: KCG Forum Ep 5: Addressing Systemic Barriers Facing Black Professionals in Literature
- Flash fiction contest for the Body Be Gone™ card game. (Deadline to enter contest has passed, but the game is launching on 11/12/20.)