Is Freelance Writing the Perfect Job for Introverts? | TIS Ep. 26
Ask any introvert to describe their dream job, and they’ll probably mention freelancing. No people? Check. No small talk? Check. No need to go into an office? Check, check, check. Join Sharon and Lisa as they discuss why freelancing, and especially freelance writing, could just be the ideal job for introverts. Plus: From Kamala “I’m speaking” Harris to Aaisha Joseph, and so many more, Black women are fighting the good fight against racism, censorship, and the patriarchy. Tune in as the sisters discuss it all.
Watch this episode on YouTube
3 Big Takeaways:
- Writing comes naturally to many introverts: “A lot of introverts process thoughts better in writing than they do verbally.”
- Freelancing and working from home are ultimately about control: “There are so many ways in which freelancing gives you more agency, and more power to say ‘no’ to things you don’t want to do.”
- If they can help it, introverts are never going back to regular office life: People: “Would you ever consider working in an office again?” Introverts: “No.”
Find Us: Listen on Substack or add our podcast feed to your favorite player.| Transcript
5 Key Quotes:
- “Working from home is kind of awesome.”
- “Having more control over our time and space makes us more creative and productive. It allows us to get more out of our work day without feeling overwhelmed or drained.”
- “Why is freelancing introvert heaven? No small talk, no water cooler talk, no cafeteria talk, no awkward lunches, and no interactions with people you don’t want to be around.”
- “A lot of introverts find social interaction draining. Being in our own space, having control of our environment, and minimizing phone calls helps us to manage our energy so that we have energy left to channel into our creative work.”
- In relation to the above, always remember: “Text, don’t call,” and “No small talk.”
By The Numbers:
- 0:33 – “Introverts Unite Separately” segment: The US election fever is getting hotter, and the debates have been interesting to say the least. Sharon and Lisa talk about Kamala Harris’ first VP debate, and the importance of her simple statement: “I’m speaking.”
- 2:50 – The censorship of Black voices on LinkedIn, Facebook, and other social media platforms is getting worse. The sisters briefly discuss what has been happening, and what can be done.
- 6:47 – 2020 is heavy, so the sisters make sure to keep things balanced by lightening the mood with some mindless entertainment. Sharon and Lisa share what shows and music they’ve been entertaining themselves with.
- 13:40 – “In Our World” segment: Why freelancing (and specifically freelance writing) is the perfect job for introverts.
INTROVERSION AND FREELANCING
- Could Freelance Writing be the Perfect Job for Introverts?
- How Being an Introvert is an Asset To Your Freelance Writing Career
- Introvert Freelancer, Extrovert Freelancer
- Don’t Like Working with People? 10 Careers for Introverts
- Introverts Vs Extroverts: Who Make Better Freelancers?
- Intrinsic Motivation How Your Behavior Is Driven by Internal Rewards
- Intrinsic Motivation: How to Pick Up Healthy Motivation Techniques
- Miro: A collaborative online whiteboard platform designed for remote and distributed teams
- Alone, Not Lonely: Why Introverts Love “Me Time.”
- Why Introverts Love Working Remotely and Don’t Miss The Office
- 21 Things Introverts Wish People Understood
- Highly Sensitive Person
- The Hood Internet
- THE HOOD INTERNET presents 1991
- Lovecraft Country – Official Website for the HBO Series
CENSORSHIP OF BLACK VOICES