When Meghan and Harry Met Oprah: Part 2 | TIS Ep. 36
There was so much to unpack from “The Interview” to end all interviews that we had to do a part 2. In this episode, we take a deep dive into Meghan’s mental health revelations, Harry’s unwavering support for his spouse, and how (randomly?) Tyler Perry ended up saving the day. Why does this matter so much? Because so many people – and so many women of color – see Meghan’s experiences reflected in their everyday lives. Because Meghan has reignited a much-needed conversation about mental health in general, and more specifically about how racism, bullying, and misogynoir all have serious adverse mental health effects. Join us as we continue the conversation.
Trigger warning: suicidal ideation, depression, bulimia, and rape are mentioned.
Find Us: Listen on Substack or add our podcast feed to your favorite player.| Transcript
5 Big Takeaways:
- On mental health stigma: ““Meghan has reduced the stigma associated with mental health issues, and made it easier for people to seek help.”
- On seeking help: “Seeking help and seeking attention are two different things.”
- On mental health activism: “Meghan has put a face to the phrase “It’s ok to not feel ok.””
- On universality of Meghan’s experience: “Meghan’s experience with The Firm is what Black women face all the time. The racism. The bullying. The undermining. The exclusion.”
- On faking mental health problems: “People with mental health issues are not faking illness. They’re probably faking wellness.”
7 Key Quotes:
- “People who are feeling suicidal don’t lie about it.”
- “Meghan shed light on the fact that anybody – no matter what their life looks like – can struggle with mental health issues.”
- “No-one is exempt from mental illness.”
- “We have all been in situations where we have to smile through pain.”
- “If you can be anything, be kind.”
- “Normalize talking about mental health.”
- “Know that life is worth living. Know that the world needs you.”
By The Numbers:
- 0:58 – Recap of the last episode, which is the first in this series.
- 2:16 – The sisters dive into part deux of their reactions to The Interview.
- Racism Among the Royals, by Sharon Hurley Hall
- Meghan and Harry: A Cautionary Tale, by Lisa Hurley
- Exploring Shadeism, by Sharon Hurley Hall