On this week’s episode of the Introvert Sisters we talk about returning to the office or as it’s called, RTO! Is going into the office necessary? Dive into how office life harms us as Black, introverted, women, and why we love working from the comfort of home. Sorry workmates, we do NOT want to come to happy hour!
The Introvert Sisters Podcast is sponsored by All Things Equitable Inc.: We make it Easy to be Equitable
The beauty is in the details. For full show notes and transcript click below.
Previous Episode: The Introvert Sisters Share Their Podcasting Secrets
3 Big Takeaways:
- On mental health in the office: “ I need, a moment I need, a little time to be able to breathe and recalibrate myself mentally. I’ve been told no, you can’t do that.” –Lisa Hurley
- On why commuting is the worst: “Before I had a car, I had to get up and get a 5:30 bus because I had to get two buses to get there by nine. First one was 5:30 in the morning, you imagine in winter, right?“ –Sharon Hurley Hall
- On white supremacy in the office: “So the issue is, they want you there, so that they can have you under their control, in their view, so they can micromanage and overlook everything that you’re doing.” -Sharon Hurley Hall
5 Juicy Quotes:
- “Well, that being the case, why am I spending my money to commute in and try and, you know, appear committed to companies that are not committed to you?” -Lisa Hurley
- “There’s so much trauma that you avoid, by not being in the office. You don’t have to deal with the micro-aggressions of all kinds, you don’t have to deal with being stopped at the door, because the security guard who’s seen you every day in the last five years, never actually believes that you work there.” -Sharon Hurley Hall
- “You’re being treated inhumanely, you’re being micro-aggressed. But you have a computer at home, and you could do this in warmth and comfort.” -Lisa Hurley
- “Don’t give me the free lunch, pay me.” -Sharon Hurley Hall
- “We love to do our work excellently and not have to go into an uncomfortable office and be micro-aggressed.” -Lisa Hurley
By The Numbers:
- 0:32 – Are the Introvert Sisters team in person or work from home?
- 1:41 – Micro-aggressions in the office.
- 8:53 – The struggles of being introverts in the office.
- 12:18 – We hate commuting!
- 12:48 – White supremacist in the office vs online.
- 16:50 – Bringing it back to the struggles of introversion in the office.
- 20:22 – We aren’t fans of the office environment.