11 Shady Things You Should Never Say to an Introvert | TIS Ep. 19
Introverts (like most people) have their pet peeves. And those include the misguided, shady, and hurtful things that others can say to us in order to get us to…not be us?? We can only assume that that’s the reason behind it. Tune in as we discuss the tone-deaf things that extroverts often say to introverts. Plus: since wfh life is the new normal for so many of us, does this mean that “work clothes” are dead? Does anybody need formal business attire? Or do we only need shorts/sweatpants, a pair of “good jeans,” and a few Zoom-appropriate tops and shirts?
3 Big Takeaways:
- Check your tone and be mindful of your word usage: “Why would you come up to somebody and say ‘I thought you were really stuck up.’ ?” How do you start a conversation that way?”
- There’s room for every personality type: “This is not to say that being extroverted is a bad way to be. It’s a great way to be. I just don’t think that everybody has to be that way.”
- Stop trying to force introverts to come out of their shell: “As an introvert, I like my shell. I don’t want to ‘just get out there.’ I want to be in here!”
Find Us: Listen on Substack or add our podcast feed to your favorite player. | Transcript
5 Juicy Quotes:
- “‘You don’t look friendly’ is not a great conversation starter.”
- “There’s a world of difference between being ‘reserved’ and being ‘standoffish’.”
- “Having meaningful interactions with a small group of people can actually be more rewarding than being a social butterfly.”
- “It is important to mix your (work) teams. The introverts will be better at planning and strategizing. The extroverts are going to be great at presenting and fielding questions. Put the two together and let them play to their strengths.”
- “We don’t hate extroverts. We just don’t want to be forced to be extroverts.”
By The Numbers:
- 0:40 – “Introverts Unite Separately” segment: In the last episode, Sharon and Lisa talked about the end of office life as we know it. In this episode, the sisters discuss if that means that it’s also the end of “formal” business clothes, and if sweats are the new suit.
- 6:55 – “In Our World” segment: Sharon and Lisa discuss 11 things that people should never say to introverts.
- 14:44 – Sharon talks about how to judge whether people are approachable.